5/23/11

can you give me a scientific basis that endometrial cancer can occur at the age of 30?


can you give me a scientific basis that endometrial cancer can occur at the age of 30?me and my co-researchers already had our case study defense but the panelists did not accept my rationale that endo CA commonly occurs at the age bracket 55-70 and only 2 to 5 percent occurs below 40. our patient was 30 years old when she had the ENDO CA... they said, why such slim percentage for below 40....can u help me?

Answer by zrepmd
Two reasons come to mind:
1) First, MOST cancers occur in that age range, because cancer is primarily (by the numbers) a disease of older people, due to length of time it takes for genetic damage to accumulate and result in cancer.
2) Second, menstruation provides a monthly "cleansing" effect of rapidly growing/dividing cells which are highly influenced by hormone levels; these cells being shed lowers the risk for a women until she goes through menopause, when it ceases. I cannot tell you whether the changing hormone milieu is a cause in this or not. Supporting evidence for this: tamoxifen, a well-studied hormonal agent for treatment of breast cancer, is associated with increase risk of uterine cancer, though this risk is primarily confined to postmenopausal women.

Give your answer to this question below! Information about multiple myeloma and other plasma cell neoplasms.


Orignal From: can you give me a scientific basis that endometrial cancer can occur at the age of 30?

No comments:

Post a Comment