5/23/11

what is considered a temperature for someone receiving chemotherapy?


what is considered a temperature for someone receiving chemotherapy?My mom is receiving chemotherapy and I know there is certain temperature that is considered a fever which could indicate infection - but I can't find the paper that has the temp. I'm afraid she may be sick and don't know whether to contact the doctor. I appreciate any help you can give me!

Answer by hecla 1
if she has a temp over 100, contact the Dr

Answer by crosscountryrunnerxo
It is usually anything above 100.5 for cancer patients.
As soon as your temperature hits that, then you have to go to the ER (call the hospital first to let them know you are coming).
But if you fear your mom has an infection, bring her to the hospital right away. Better safe than sorry.

Answer by midnightmoon62
Some say 100 others say 100.5.



I would like to make a couple comments the others did not however. First, call the oncologist before you take them to the ER. You should have an after hours number to call. Depending on the blood counts, it could be very unwise to go into the er.

But, that 100 is based on the avg temp of 98.6. That is only the average normal temp. What I am getting ready to say only applies if the patient has a different normal temp. If for some reason your patient has a different normal temp, the point where you need to call is 2 degrees above the normal.

I bring this up because my normal temp is 95-96. At 98.6, I am actually running a fever. I have ran into an issue there because the avg normal is the same temp that I am running a fever.

Answer by let.the.blood.flow
it just depends. when im on chemo,
my doctor waits until mine is at least 103 before admiting me to the hospital.
it just depends on what your moms normal temp is.

Answer by Britt E
My advice is that any time you are in doubt or have a question call the doctor. Don't second guess yourself. With my son (who has leukemia) a fever is anything over 100.4

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments! Information about multiple myeloma and other plasma cell neoplasms.

Cancer Help: How to Apply Makeup During Chemotherapy







Have you become Agoraphobic in the face of Cancer? I created this Makeup Tutorial for Women going through Chemotherapy because, as a Breast Cancer Fighter (and soon, Survivor!), I found it discouraging that so many of the women we see on television and in the media (like Celia in WEEDS, Lynette in DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, and Samantha in SEX AND THE CITY) are depicted as just having buzzed hair or bald heads. If you've had cancer and chemo, you know that's NOT what you look like! Your hair thins, often not fallling completely out. You lose your eyebrows and eyelashes - often you don't even recognize yourself when you look in the mirror!! It can be very discouraging and you don't want to go out in public. It doesn't have to be that way. With just a little effort, you can put your face together and feel more comfortable going out in public and not feeling like a freakshow. You just have to rediscover makeup again! Let this video be your inspiration, and check out other YouTube Channels like MichellePhan and MakeupGeek (women who are way, way more talented than me!). ***IF YOU LIKED THIS VIDEO, CHECK OUT MY BOOK, "RECIPE FOR LEMONADE" NOW AVAILABLE AT AMAZON.COM!! bit.ly You will need: - Smashbox "Try Me" Eye Kit - Smashbox High Definition Healthy FX Foundation - Foundation Sponge or Brush - MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - EcoTools Brushes - Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder - Kiss Me Mascara in Dark Brown - GloMinerals gloBlush Duo in Petunia - Joey New York Super Duper ...
Video Rating: 4 / 5

Information about multiple myeloma and other plasma cell neoplasms.

Orignal From: what is considered a temperature for someone receiving chemotherapy?

No comments:

Post a Comment