5/8/11

Are ultrasounds, transvaginal ultrasounds and x-rays a good source finding ovarian cancer?


Are ultrasounds, transvaginal ultrasounds and x-rays a good source finding ovarian cancer?Hello, my friend was recently diagnoised with ovarian cancer and she is only 20! I have been having the same symptoms has her, like bloating, weight gain (8lbs), oily skin, and acne. My doctor gave me a regular ultrasound, a transvaginal ultrasound, and an x-ray, which all came back saying there was no significant masses, but that there were multiple follicles(sp) on my ovaries. What does that mean, and should I feel alot better knowing there results showed no masses? Thanks for the help!

p.s. any ideas on what I can do to help my friend, she had surgery in a couple of weeks??Thanks!

Answer by Amkii
I think if the doctor didn't see any masses on the ultrasounds or the x-rays, you should be pretty happy and sure that there isn't much to worry about at the moment. However, that doesn't mean that something couldn't or won't happen. Please be as healthy and active as possible, and always have routine check-ups to make sure you're staying cancer-free. :)

Answer by mannon is broke!
Follicles are normal. They are eggs (ova) in the making.

My personal experience has been that regular ultrasound was good enough to pick up on small (less than one half of an inch) cysts on my ovaries. Cysts are like little blisters, and since they tend to be filled with clear fluid, can be harder to detect than solid masses, like tumors.

I have a 3 cm. mass on one of my kidneys, which was detected by ultrasound when it was about 1 cm. (about a 16th of an inch.)

Both regular and trans vaginal ultrasounds are very good tools- they can zero in on all sides of your ovaries.

I don't think that you have ovarian cancer, but the best person to ask would be your doctor...and since he already said you don't, I think you can rest easy. If you didn't understand what he meant by follicles, call his office and ask for an explanation. You may have to leave a message, but he should call you back and talk to you.

You may also want to do a search on "female reproductive system"
and follicles.

Your symptoms are easily explained by normal female hormones, even the weight gain and bloating are normal when you are getting close to your period.
'
'




'

Add your own answer in the comments! Information about multiple myeloma and other plasma cell neoplasms.


Orignal From: Are ultrasounds, transvaginal ultrasounds and x-rays a good source finding ovarian cancer?

No comments:

Post a Comment